The heat pump industry has welcomed the Committee on Climate Change report which says a net zero target for greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 is both achievable and affordable using existing technologies.
The Net Zero report highlights the need for swift implementation of a regulatory framework to achieve the decarbonisation of heat and recommends a range of policies, including support for low carbon heating and a nationwide training programme to upskill the existing workforce.
The Ground Source Heat Pump Association welcomes the BEIS publication of its response to The Renewable Heat Incentive – A Reformed and Refocused scheme consultation.
Today Baroness Neville-Rolfe made an important speech during which she underlined the importance of heat pumps in tackling the challenge of heating our buildings in the low carbon economy. She touched on heat networks, heat storage and heat recovery – all of which are uniquely well suited to promote ground source heat pump deployment at a large scale. To support this, she also announced the launch of several key consultations and the long-awaited publication of the reforms to the RHI.
"Simon Lomax, Managing Director of Kensa Heat Pumps, comments on the Government's response to the RHI Consultation published on the 14th December 2016."
“Kensa welcomes the proposed refinements to the RHI and trusts they will quickly receive parliamentary approval. It is encouraging that Government has confirmed its belief that ground source heat pumps are a strategically important technology and have offered more attractive support particularly for residential properties served by shared ground loops, a concept that has been pioneered by Kensa in the UK."
The government has announced a raft of new measures to help employers take on more apprentices including £60m to be spent on helping get young people from deprived backgrounds into work.
Employers with fewer than 50 employees will receive 100% of the cost of training apprentices aged between 16 and 18. This will also apply if they take on 19 to 24-year-olds who were in care or 19 to 24-year-olds with an education and health care plan.
The government also confirmed that just 2% of employers will pay into the Apprenticeship Levy – those with payrolls above £3m– and that the remaining 98% will receive 90% of apprenticeship training costs from May 2017.
New Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Department a welcome nod to joined up government says Nankivell.
“Few could have predicted the political upheaval that resulted from the BREXIT vote, or that we would now have a new Prime Minister and a radically restructured cabinet.
The UK’s fifth carbon budget, announced in parliament yesterday by Amber Rudd, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, has set out a new legally binding emissions reduction target for 2030.
Phil Hurley, Managing Director at leading renewable heating manufacturer NIBE, has praised the carbon budget’s long-term commitment to tackling climate change – but has called for more robust action in the wake of the EU referendum.
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) gave Beijer Ref the go-ahead to continue restructuring the air conditioning and refrigeration wholesaler HRP.
Beijer Ref bought the struggling HRP outright in February 2016, having made the announcement in November 2015.
Beijer Ref began a program to bring the company back to profitability. The CMA put Beijer Ref's plans on hold earlier this year amid concerns that buying HRP would be anti-competitive for the air conditioning and refrigeration market.
BSRIA calls on government to take the lead and show direction now. With the current housing shortage crisis – we ask how are we going to find the workforce with the right skills to build these? But we must not lose sight of the fact that house building volume cannot be at the expense of quality – so such skills shortage are even more acute.
We also ask government where will direct investment now come from without EU financing and backing? If government is not going to make any necessary investment – where will it come from?
And what of carbon reduction energy policies? Will these still be followed? Industry needs to reassured and quickly.”
According to the latest Markit/CIPS survey, output growth over the month slowed to its weakest rate for over three years.
Heat Pump News
Find the latest heat pump news here using the search bar or the categories.